Friday, February 20, 2015

Blog Post 5



In the article “Stop Calling it a Tramp Stamp” published by Cosmopolitan, the author, Sara Stewart explains that just because a girl has a lower back tattoo, it doesn’t mean that it’s about sex. If someone thinks that, that’s their opinion and the girl who got the tattoo can have a completely different meaning to it. About twenty three percent of women have tattoos somewhere on their body. Women are usually more cautious then guys about their tattoos. They don’t want their tattoos to be shown because there are times and places where it is inappropriate to have them. Studies show that if you have a tramp stamp, you are more likely to be hit on by men. The problem is that calling it that name gives all the power to the men and the girls don’t ever get asked what their tattoo symbolizes.   Sara Stewart said that ““Mummified leaders found in burials in central Asia, from 500 B.C., reveal lower back tattoos. It’s not a general signal of availability, sexual promiscuity, or compromised morals.””


I agree with what the author was saying. I didn’t know why women got tattoos there. I actually let the opinion of other men influence mine saying that it’s a tattoo for sex but now I know I am wrong. Something I thought was interesting was that a long time ago in Asia, mummified leaders had tattoos on their lower back. I didn’t even know that tattoos were used then. Some questions I have about the article is “Where is the most common place girls get tattoos? Because it never said that the lower back was the most popular spot to get a tattoo.

3 comments:

  1. I disagree with her article completely. It was a poorly explained article, with the focus only on females. I guess males can't have tattoos on there lower-back. I also decided to choose this article and I think that some girl got a "tramp stamp" and then someone made a comment towards her and she got all upset over it. I'm a dude and I have a lower-back tattooed and it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what the author is saying that women have their reasons for getting a tattoo on their lower back and not because of sexual attractions. I think most women choose to get theirs on their lower back so that it will not affect them when they are seeking for jobs that don't approve body art or when they are in places where it is inappropriate to expose it. Calling women with lower back tattoo "tramp stamp" will give or has already given the general impression that women with such tattoos are promiscuous while they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I dont think tattoos have anything to do with sex. Especially when it comes to just women and their tattoos. I feel like everyone has their reasons for their tattoos, no matter what they have there is a meaning behind it. I agree that the author discusses that and that it's judgemental to think that about tattos espeically lower back tattoos. I feel like just naming the tattoo "tramp stamp" just gives off a really bad idea of the tattoo. I feel like even if a girl likes or wants one just the name itself makes a girl not want to get one because people, guys expeically, will jugde a girl if she has one. Overall, i really like this essay and you did a great job summing it up for me and other readers.

    ReplyDelete