Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blog Post 4



In the article “Sherman Indian High School” published from Native Peoples Magazine, the author, Colleen Fliedner talks about how even with all of the labor the kids had to do; Sherman institute was a very successful boarding school. The school was in California and the problems started right away. The kids were having trouble with the hot and dry air. They also had a hard time trying to find water. In Sherman’s early years, the Indian boys had to get haircuts when they came to the school because they wanted them to look more like a white person with short hair. This made the boys sad because their long hair was a sign of what they believed in and it was all gone in an instant. They also were not allowed to speak their own language and they had to go to church every Sunday even if that wasn’t part of their religion. The school didn’t have enough money to keep it going so they had students doing labor and working off the campus. The money they got went to the school. The author Colleen said that “The outing system was considered vocational training and provided cheap labor for those willing to have an Indian live in their homes.” Sherman institute also had a cemetery because some kids got really sick and died and they ended up burring them. Sherman institute was a school that tried to force natives in and teach them more American ways but it has actually evolved into a really good high school for young Indian kids.


I was so shocked to find this out because I had no idea that Indians were going to boarding schools and were doing labor. At the end of this article I was glad to hear that this school was doing well because now it’s a high school that helps Indian kids and they can learn anything about their own culture. Something I thought was cool was the outing system. This helped the students get better jobs for the future. It is kind of like an elective for us. I was sad to hear that people were dying at this school from sickness or abuse because they came to the school to learn, even if it was by force. Something I found puzzling was that when the kids died, I was wondering if their parents knew about it?

2 comments:

  1. This article really made me feel sad for the Natives, They were just trying to go to school and like you said end up doing labor work and the money they got was paying for them to go to a school that did not even treat them right. I did like however to also hear that the school now is doing well, it's good to know that they are now working with the Indians to help them become more successful in life. As far as your question I guess I am sort of now wondering the same thing, because wouldn't you want to burry your own child, that's sickening to me that the schools would do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your article made me relies that the U.S had Indian boarding schools around the entire country. I was thinking how horrible it would be to work in the heat, in California. I wonder How many people actually died there. To be honest I don't think it's a good Idea to keep that school. I think the U.S should demolish it because their is to many sad memories. I would hate to go to that school if I was Indian or any race.

    ReplyDelete