Friday, April 3, 2015

Blog Post 8



In her article,” My Marriage Was Arranged” published from New York Times, author Jyothi Sampat talks about how she thought that having an arranged marriage is just an Indians tradition and how hers worked out for her. She lived in a city called New Delhi. Her parents always told her that marriage is supposed to be with similar families and similar castes which divide Hindus into different classes. For example, they want to marry someone with the same religion. Her parents also told her that love is not supposed to happen before marriage, “Love happens after marriage. “Also, someone’s good looks are a bad reason for choosing a husband or a wife. Jyothi was not allowed to date in high school so she just had to work really hard in school. She eventually got a scholarship in speaking French and wanted to get her masters too. Her marriage was arranged when she was twenty four years old and she married a guy named Praveen. Before there weeding, they talked on the phone about once a week and she thought that he had a gentle voice and thought that he was very funny. After they were married, they always went out together. They went shopping and went out to eat. She found out that they had similar interests like Italian food and traveling places. Each day, they both felt more attracted to each other even though they didn’t even hold hands because they were in India. In the end, Jyothi found out that her mom was right that love does come after marriage.
 
http://ihcproxy.mnpals.net/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=1559992&site=ehost-live&scope=site 

I do think there are benefits for getting an arranged marriage. Some are having the opportunity to fall in love together after your married and I’m pretty sure that is a unique experience and another is that you are setting up yourself to have a good life instead of hoping that someone is going to take care of you and have lots of money. With these arranged marriages, you don’t need to worry about money problems because you have the money. I personally wouldn’t want an arranged marriage because I want the freedom to choose who ever I want to marry. I don’t want my parents doing it, no matter what the benefits are. It just seems weird to me. One question I have is why Indian’s can’t hold hands together in public even though they are married? I don’t think it matters if it is arranged ornot, couples should be able to hold hands where ever they are.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your article, I do think there are plenty of benefits for an arranged marriage. People do get married so they can make more money or even have health insurance. But I also think that people scam the hell out of an arranged marriage, for example, welfare is a joke and people get married so they can take more of the working class people's money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you used support for having arranged marriages. I do agree with you about people being able to choose the person they want to be with for the rest of their life. I do have one question for you. If you lived in India and grew up in that culture, do you think you would have an arranged marriage or not? To be honest it really depends on where you live in the world if something is normal or not.

    ReplyDelete